Today marks a whole week living in Louisville. It went by on a meditative note when today at my new synagogue there was a guest speaker, another local rabbi who gave a small lesson. I'll start with how I have been learning so much at work, with new friendships and new beginnings. Feeling overwhelmed with a new red robin family, understanding different methods for familiar experiences, and making sure I don't say or do something offensive or stupid that I could find humorous. My pace slowed down the last 24 hours when attending Keneseth Israel, a conservative synagogue minutes away from my new home. I encourage you to check out the link and learn about the new congregation I am apart of, http://www.kenesethisrael.com.
This weeks Torah portion was about the duties of the priests, and the Rabbi reflected on how many of the responsibilities are now the Rabbi's business, when obviously there were no Rabbi's back then. The guest speaker talked about whom could easily be labeled our first Rabbi, and that would be Moses. She sparked the congregation with open questions such as, Why Moses? What were his qualifications? And she took an unconventional approach through traditional text to reach an answer.
What struck me was when she lectured about a psychological view on Moses during the time he fled Egypt for killing an Egyptian, and wandered through the wilderness. In conclusion between the time he was a member in Pharaoh's house, to the time in his life where in Midian he stood up to the shepherd boys who were preventing the shepherd women to draw water, he was different. The time he spent wandering, he matured enough to handle unjust cause, and make sure everyone was safe, without resorting to killing.
Being my mother's daughter, I immediately found a parallel to my life. This is the time I'm wandering in the wilderness. I'll be the same person wherever I end up, but I know I'll be somewhat different in a mature way. I'm excited to start school, and pursue what I want to make a career and can't wait to make it happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment