Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week 2; Basic Culinary Skills

Knife Cuts;
Tournes, Juilenne, Brunoise

 This last week was laborious in lab. We learned the names of our knives, how to properly hold our knives, and start learning some basic cuts. Specifically I practiced, Tournes, Juilennes, and Brunoise cuts.

Tornes are a presentation cut done on potatoes. I learned that there isn't much of a functional purpose to such cuts, but just purely for presentation.
Above is a photo of a practice session where I focused on getting my cuts perfect. There are a total of seven sides and two flat sides on the end, resulting in an foot-ball shape. This is a particular style a student would have to demonstrate to join the competing culinary team. I struggle with holding the knife, controlling the knife (so it doesn't slip in the potato), and getting the football shape. I practiced running my pairing knife along the edge of an egg for over an hour to train my muscles to have control and shape, and by the 6th tourne I cut (this sesson) I excelled.

Above (from top to bottom): irregular diagonal cut, Brunoise, Juilenne. My cut are inconsistent and measure to big to properly fit these titles, which means I just need to get more practice, thankfully there's plenty I can make and cook to get enough practice.
With that I'll ask, steak anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment