Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 3: Mise En Place My Life

Mise En Place is kitchen jargon for keep organized, best thing I can compare it to is the literal translation for Pesach, order, I just don't know French. Not only am I learning the necessary skills to become a talented and knowledgeable chef, but I am constantly being reminded how I need to keep my life organized while it feels chaotic all the time!




My life schedule for the past 3 weeks has been something like this: On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I have classes from 10am-3pm, then I go to work from 4pm and get home between 10pm and 10:30pm. Every Thursday I have an exam in my first class, and a quiz in my last class. Studying happens when I'm in the library at school since by the evening I'm physically and mentally done. Thursday evenings have become I'm going to enjoy a glass of wine, or the bottle, since I just took another exam, and another school week has ended. Fridays are know as "Plus Fridays" where you can go into your lab between the hours of 8am-12pm and practice any skills you want to improve on. The chefs will count plus Fridays as make up days if you missed any classes, or will add points to your exams/quizzes. Somehow it's been straight B's & A's, I'm one of the top performing students academically, but performing in the kitchen all of the students are at the same level. I have trouble some days, and sometimes feel even more challenged and all the more determined to do better or go home and quit. I have to pass basic culinary skills to get into baking and I feel I will be more in my element when that happens, but for now it's an up-hill struggle.


Mise En Place in the kitchen requires focus, and lots of energy. After you read your recipe at least 3 times and have the correct portions for your yield (amount of servings you need) then you set up your equipment, and all of your ingredients. After you have all of your ingredients out then you may begin cooking. Having everything on hand is helpful for you to move quickly and effectively when cooking. When you are all done cooking and can step away, clean up your work station, and wash dishes. There is also importance to cleaning as you are working so you get more done in less time.



No comments:

Post a Comment