Sunday, April 24, 2016

Relaxed

Friday night was the first night of Passover. Last year I could not afford the luxury of leaving town to see my family on such a fun holiday. Fun for the first few days, by day five I'm over the whole no bread thing, but the point is this year I was able to take off time for the weekend to see my extended family and help out with the seder. The best way to describe such a momentous event as "relaxed". My Aunt Gail and Uncle Hank let me graciously crash at their house. They were amazing enough to host both nights of the seder. I have to tell you they are amazing cooks! It would be an understatement that they didn't influence and support me every step of my journey to become a pastry chef as my parents do. Matzah ball soup, carrot soufflé, brisket, smoked turkey, and even toffee pistachio matzah.

During my weekend visit back to my home town, I took the opportunity to visit my grandparents. Of course the visit ended me tearing up with so many good feels. Grandma got rhubarb wine, peach Chardonnay, chocolates, and ingredients for us to make the best lunch ever. When I lived with my grandparents for a short time, my grandma and I made a habit of cooking together. I had so much fun with my grandparents that I  had actually turned down dates because the thought of going out to dinner with a stranger sounded like a lot less fun compared to definitely enjoying good spirits, good food, and great company. Grandma had also bought three cards, one to wish me a happy Pesach, another to wish me  a congratulations on my graduation, and finally one to wish me a happy birthday. Each one unexpectedly had a unique surprise attached. I only got upset because she had no reason to spoil me.

I will never take my family for granted. In their own way they helped shaped the path I chose, and made me realize who I want to be, whether its a mermaid or a pastry chef. This past weekend was relaxing and a reminder that my family fully supports my dream to work and travel the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment