Thursday, April 9, 2015

You Can have your Cake and Eat it too!

I realized today it's only nine days into the month of April! Here I am so jaded from all the challenges I have overcome thinking all well, no way I'm going to make it, and not putting much energy at all into school. I needed a small wake up call, and miraculously I got one. I got overconfident and started making some serious mistakes this week when we were reviewing cakes. I had lost my focus and touch when it came to cutting my layers and made some wonky layers. I'm going to have to get back into practice!

This week we made a strawberry shortcake and a mocha chocolate mousse cake. Everything looked so delicious! The strawberry shortcake was a Golden Chiffon cake cut into three layers. You use a fruit based maceration to provide more moisture and flavor for the cake. I chose the almond maceration since I love almond. I eat almond everything! In between the cake layers you add whipped heavy cream and chopped up strawberries. You do your flat icing, decorate with a comb tool, shell boarder, rosettes, and chocolate ganache dipped strawberries!
Drool all you want, the icing covers up my poorly cut layers. I am so embarrassed by how bad I am at cutting my layers. The decorating is tough but doesn't intimidate me  the same way sawing through cake will make me feel.

Thankfully for our other cake, the Kahula Mocha Chocolate Amazingness our Chef put together, only had to be cut into two layers. You would think I could cut a cake in half, right? WRONG! I managed to mess that one up as well. The problem is lack of confidence and practice. I know the quick and helpful methods but still just trip over myself.

In other parts of my life, I recently had a scare with Arendelle running out of the apartment. Little stupid cat ran into a storm with a flash flood warning. Instead of going home I was stressed out searching the complex and putting flyers, everywhere. I had given up hope after three days, then some very nice girls who live at the apartment around the corner found her stuck in a tree. After a very traumatic bath Arendelle was wrapped up in my arms sleeping. She is hope safe and sound. Nathan dropped off his apartment application, I'm not worried, and I know that I will be financially in a good place come May. Can't wait to enjoy some cake! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment