Tuesday, April 28, 2015

How Does the Cookie Actually Crumble...

I have some pretty deep metaphysical thoughts running in my mind lately. Let me start at the beginning of my most current adventure with 610 Magnolia. One of the finest restaurants here in Louisville wanted to hire two students from Sullivan for extra help specifically for Derby weekend. I approached the sous chef who visited and told him I was interested. I got the opportunity to check out the kitchen, the catering kitchen, the wine bar, the wine cellar, and the green house they are currently building and putting together, some really amazing and cool stuff. I was told I needed to learn, and perfect a skill Sullivan hasn't introduced me to yet, and was determined to shine. With practicing I gained confidence and started telling more and more people about this awesome opportunity.

Recently I am unable to work at 610 Magnolia, and am very disappointed. I'm not mad or crying on my couch in misery eating ice cream, but just impatient. I thought this was my big break. I'm borderline annoyed thinking I have to wait longer to get my foot in the industry. I'm doing great at school, and seem to have some upper hand on my finances, I just want to have fun and be a professional in my field! Part of me thinks maybe I'll get an amazing great paying job in the culinary world in England, or India, or Walt Disney World, but it would be nice to start walking that path learning from real world kitchens who are independent and make their mark with their original recipes and ideas.

In school I'm learning all about artisan breads and formulas. It is way more interesting than cake decorating.  The math, chemistry, and art of bread keeps me more occupied and happier than I could have imagined. Granted you can only do so much with bread making, but it's the details you can change, it's more tedious and I love detailed-oriented attention to my craft. You will change the outcome, but how much I am not sure quite yet. Something I'm very curious about and have been researching the world of bread making. Right now my group and I are tackling a bread recipe that was popular since the middle ages known as English Soul Bread. It's origins seem Celtic, but it first appears documented by Catholics.

We followed a recipe that was published in England in 1604, and it was bland. It was a more primitive methodology compared to the modern bread making procedures we are taught, which was fun to learn, and gave me a deeper appreciation to the skills and practices used today. We are currently making it again with a recipe that was written within the last 20 years or so, and doing research to use fruit compost and sherry for our own original glaze. I'll share the results!

For more information on 610 Magnolia, here's the link to there website: http://610magnolia.com/
More information of Edward Lee: http://chefedwardlee.com/bio/

No comments:

Post a Comment