Monday, June 29, 2015

Summer Time!

Today was the start of a new quarter at school. Every fiber in my body wanted to take the summer off, but after sitting through the first day of school, I'm so happy I'm sticking to my goals. This quarter I'm taking hospitality management, conversational Spanish, and modern pastry design. Management will be a joke, but the chef has 37 years experience who has opened hundreds of restaurants with Caesar casinos and I'm more interested in his life story and his personal experiences compared to the work I'm actually going to have to do for his class. I'm stoked about learning another language and can't wait to practice with many of the native Spanish speakers at work.

Modern Pastry will be my favorite. We really get into the art, design, and sculpture used by today's pastry chefs. The next few weeks we will be working with chocolate. Plus there are only 12 kids including myself, which will be ideal for the flow of the class.

Outside of school, many of you are aware that my apartment has been flooding, almost every time it rains. My roommate and I have learned that the structure foundation (just for this apartment) has problems, 25 years of problems. My neighbors don't deal with flooding and it is inhabitable in my space. So much for an easy relaxing summer. Our main landlord was out of town during the first flood, and was livid when she learned how her team had maintained and handled the problem, leaving my roommate and I in horrible condition. After some push of getting everything cleaned up put together, she went on vacation. Now it has flooded again and barely anything has changed. We have been promised a transfer, but in the meantime my roommate and I are being very cautious with every action we make, from taking photos every day to have a time stamp and a time line of everything to calling the state to send out an inspector. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment