Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Sugar Work; Post 1

This week we had a demo on...(drum roll please)...
SUGAR SCULPTING!!

I was so excited when we had our demo. In the past for my BFA I used sugar as my medium for my thesis.  I discovered I had studied and practiced a very outdated way to make sugar art. It worked for "art" but it isn't widely accepted professionally in the baking and pasty world today. Instead of using granulated sugar and melting right before it caramelizes, people use a chemically inverted sugar that won't caramelize and stays clear! The amount of things I thought I could do with sugar art was expanded when our chef demoed different ways to make your sketch into a sugar showpiece.

You can use molds, plastic and metal, silicone "rope" to make your own shapes and molds. You can also use ice along with the traditional blowing and stretching like I learned. Here is a photo of the different examples he combines into one:
Chef Spendlove's demo sugar showpiece demonstrating different ways to create your showpiece.   
This left me stoked for the rest of the week since my partner and I are starting to build a showpiece tomorrow. I am so excited with all the thoughts I have we could do! I'm thinking something with the Kraken?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment