Monday, October 5, 2015

Not Your Moody Monday

Today was a yom tov, and such it didn't feel like any other weekday, there was a magical feeling in the air full of hope and excitement, and more sensational memories that will replay in my head like a video rather than a passing experience.

At the end of the day (before I write this post) I was at Kenesith Israel celebrating Simcha Torah. I have always personally enjoyed going to the sanctuary at night, there's a different spirit and energy than your typical Saturday morning service. As a kid the synagogue had some freedom for my curiosity, so maybe that's why its always more special to me, since it brings an adventurous side in me that wants to explore and learn. At the very end the rabbi trained me to lift the Torah so I can participate in hagba-ah. My father use to lift the Torah, and sometimes he still does, and to carry on his actions is very meaningful to me.

Before the services I was slaving in the kitchen over the range making noodles and marinara sauce for approximately 150 people. Heidi, Shule, and a few other women were helping cook together. We enjoyed each others company with some wine while we prepared the meal. It was so relaxing and joyous spending time with women who carry on the Jewish traditions that my mom and I use to do together.

School was even awesome. Chef Spendlove demoed fat carving, which is where you use butter, or some source of fat, to build a sculpture with. As a class we are building a sculpture together. Our assignment is the last supper. Here is our reference:
I am sculpting the man to the right with is palms faced to you. 
First, I built the butter and shaped it into how I start a sculpture out of clay. 








We should be finished the the sculpture by tomorrow! More photos will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment