Monday, January 18, 2016

My first week at Sweet Surrender was amazing! The lead baker and kitchen manager are so talented. They are smart, funny, confident, they are my role models! I didn't realize how much I had to learn, and its great to realize where my goals should be to be skilled pastry chef.  There are so many different kinds ways to ice, and techniques, I enjoy gaining speed and confidence. Here are some photos for my portfolio:







I know how to photograph my cakes, but there were so much inconsistencies. The first cake took me a whole hour and a half. I was so nervous about the responsibility of decorating a cake with no direction. They have sprinkles, and glitter, and flours, and the cake has to sale. And the cake has to sell! But the first one sold the same day I made it. I can't wait to see what my second week will have in store. 

Mondays are food prep day for the week. I made crock pot pad thai. Very interesting, very tasty. Needs some tweeking, next time I'm going to add more liquids, and add herbs, like cilantro.

4-6 chicken breasts (see instructions for making vegetarian)
2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth (or 1/2 cup water w/1 bullion)
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
1 Tblsp ground cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Tblsp. fresh ginger, minced/grated
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
4 green onions, chopped
rice noodles, rice or udon noodles

  • Cut chicken breasts into strips. 
  • Place the chicken breast strips and onions into a slow cooker. 
  • Pour in the chicken broth and 1/4 cup of soy sauce, add cumin, garlic, red pepper and ginger. 
  • Stir to blend, then cover and cook on Low for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. 
  • Remove 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker, and mix this with the cornstarch, peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and lime juice. 
  • Blend well. 
  • Stir the sauce back into the slow cooker, and place the lid on the pot.
  •  If you wanted to omit the chicken and use either tofu or tempeh now seems like the time to add that. Cook on low for an additional 15-30 minutes. Send hubby to garden to pick green onions planted in fall. Put medium pot of water on to boil.  
  • Once noodles are tender, drain them and portion out. Add pad Thai on top of noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment