I did have a great Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, and New Year. I kept wanting to blog but life got hectic from constant overtime at Red Robin, to getting all my work done, and *bang* financial aid dropped a bomb, right before break! I got a loan, back in July, that I had some complications with, but got my ducks in a row and fixed it. Somehow the school never approved to the company that my loan will be used, and the loan expired. No one communicated that I was in such high water, and high debt. After playing practical jokes on me, one day saying I was able to finish school, and the next day emailing me "oops, we made another mistake, your fault". Well they really didn't email that exactly, but I never felt so guilty, frustrated, scared, and ready to find my viking ancestors for justice all at the same time. Right before break I got the loan reinstated, and bibbity bobbity boo, I stalked my financial adviser until I had confirmed TRUTH from both sides it was approved. No more half-assing another persons job.
Break was HECTIC, but AWESOME. My sister took her bridesmaid out dress shopping. She picked a gorgeous floor length navy versatile dress. This way all of the dresses have the same stretch fabric, all are a floor length, but all the tops can be done differently. Something that accents each bridesmaid to make us look good. In fact its my sister's wedding that is keeping me in the States.
I graduate in March. Currently I am completing my internship at Sweet Surrender. I couldn't be more excited! They make all of the cakes and desserts completely from scratch. This is the perfect opportunity to build my portfolio, skills, knowledge, and hopefully start my career as a professional Pastry Chef. Currently the master plan is get a full time job as a pastry chef. Continue to serve on the side, where that money will contribute to my five-year-four-country-around-the-world-plan. I'll work on the official title later. Four said countries will be announced later, just to build up the anticipation.
So New Year, New Layout. I'm going to start adding a recipe I can't resist at the end of every post:
Fran’s Salted Caramel Brownie Bites with Salted Caramel Buttercream
I love this dessert. It is so addictive and perfect for the colder temps. The brownie is moist, the center adds a bit of caramel and activates the salty taste buds on your tongue. I definitely spend more time baking the dessert than the time it takes me to eat it all. My entire family sister could eat an entire pan herself. This will break your health resolution, so just eat it on Shabbat when the calories don't count!
For the brownies you’ll need:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 c. granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1 c. flour
about 36 of your favorite bite-sized salted caramels (I just buy the packs of Godiva from Kroger)
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 c. granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1 c. flour
about 36 of your favorite bite-sized salted caramels (I just buy the packs of Godiva from Kroger)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- To make the brownies, melt together the butter and unsweetened chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl on high heat for 90 seconds. Remove it from the microwave and stir until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the sugar, and stir until it is well combined. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla and salt. Finally, stir in the flour.
- Put a teaspoon of brownie batter into paper-lined mini cupcake tins. If you are using the Godiva caramels, you will use a regular size cupcake tin. They should be about half full. Put one caramel in each tin, then cover with another teaspoon of batter so the tins are about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the brownies have set. It will be about the same time in a regular cupcake pan. Just have to watch the brownies, all ovens cook differently. They will give a little when you gently press your finger into the top of them, but they should not be too soft.
For the buttercream you’ll need:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
15-20 caramels
2 T. heavy cream (I use the caramel chews from the candy section)
2 c. powdered sugar
kosher salt
15-20 caramels
2 T. heavy cream (I use the caramel chews from the candy section)
2 c. powdered sugar
kosher salt
- First, melt the caramel with the heavy cream. You can pop it in the microwave for 30 second increments, until the caramel is smooth. Allow it to cool in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Whip the butter for about 30 seconds on med-high speed, so it gets fluffy. Add in about one cup of powdered sugar, and mix until it’s all combined. Once the caramel is cool to the touch, turn the mixer on medium speed and then drizzle the caramel into the frosting. If it’s too hot, it’ll melt the buttercream, so be patient.
- Beat until fluffy. Then add in the other cup of powdered sugar and the salt, a ¼ to a ½ t. at a time, mixing and then tasting after each addition to make sure you don’t add too much. A little goes a long way with the salt. Once it tastes the way you want it to taste, frost the cupcakes!
No comments:
Post a Comment