Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The past few weeks have been exhilarating! I can't put into words the emotions of fulfillment I have had recently. Compared to where I was a year ago, practically broken, not anywhere near the "grown-up" I had envisioned myself to be, and now so close to the independent adult I always knew was there. Independent defining that I am doing what I love, able to make rent, buy lots of booze, and have a great circle of friends who love and support me for exactly who I am, and after 26 and a half years, I have it all.

Sweet Surrender has been nothing short of inspiring and awesome. Here is a dummy cake the lead baker, Brittney made:


They set the bar where I want to be to consider myself as a skilled pastry chef. Sammie, the kitchen manager is helpful and a huge support. She, and Brittney have been by my side with answers to all my questions and take their time to help my skill grow. 

Life aside from my internship has been a rollercoaster. Now that the holidays are over, tips are awful! I have to use my "spending money" days as "I-Need-This-To-Pay-'x'-Bill-Now". There are two things that baffle me at the end of my shift. First, when people tell me how great of service they recieved and leave a big ol' $0 on their check. Second, when people tell me how great of service they received, and there's a hell a lot of money in that tip! I only expect 20%. Enough for tip out, and to make about $10/hour at the end of the night. Serving is not a career, where I work at. I'm completely realistic about how much servers can make an the end of day, and I don't make that. I am as uncomfortable with over the top tips, as I am with "please, your making my soul die a little bit" tips.  

Aside from people being, too predicable sometimes, here are some cakes for my portfolio:



And now Ladies, and Gents, a recipe for this evening:

Pumpkin Beer Bread

  • 3 cups flour (I used half all-purpose, and half whole-wheat flour)
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 12-ounce bottle of beer 
For the beer, I used an oktoberfest, but I suggest either a fall seasonal or winter seasonal. Stray from using a pumpkin ale or lager since it have a very strong pumpkin taste. I also added extra spices. Lots of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and ginger, just like you would for a pumpkin pie. It added so much flavor!
 
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x5-inch bread pan with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
  • Stir flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice, honey and pumpkin puree together in a large mixing bowl until combined. Slowly add in the beer, and stir until combined and smooth.
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean. Let bread rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment